Angie Vasquez

Wednesday, March 01, 2006



I spent about a week and a half in the energetic, beautiful city of Buenos Aires, with elegant, Parisian-style architecture, wide avenues, sprawling parks, outdoor cafes, and free tango shows abound. I tried to get tickets to a futbol game, but unfortunately they were sold out. I did however get to hear the roaring crowds and see the confetti sailing through the air as I walked by the stadium on my way to visit the the famous "Caminito" in the neighborhood of La Boca. La Boca is considered one of the oldest neighborhoods and was built by Italian immigrants, but it is generally not considered safe outside the touristy Caminito area, which is famous for it's multi-colored houses. The San Telmo neighborhood is known for it's Tango, and I took a lesson there and went to see a show at the famous Cafe Tortoni. Sitting next to me were two girls from D.C., and through our conversation we figured out that they know some of the people I worked for during my fellowship at NSLIJ. Small world. The following day, I walked into a random cafe next to my hostel and ran into three people I had met on my Ruta 40 trip. A bit surprising given that B.A. is somewhere around 13 million people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home