Angie Vasquez

Thursday, December 01, 2005

This one is for you Raebel...and everyone else curious about Thanksgiving in Peru.


Thanksgiving in Huancayo and answers to other important questions:

We returned to Huancayo from the jungle at 5am in the morning, so the first order of business was a Thanksgiving Day nap. And after the nap, I took a much needed shower. I don't think anyone here knew that it was a U.S. holiday, so no "I can't believe it's not Macaw" for me. It was just the standard Peruvian fare, which would be a nightmare for any of you Atkins fans out there. We have rice at least once a day, and we have it for both lunch and dinner more often than not; beans and eggs are served almost as frequently. I can't imagine how challenging it would be for someone who doesn't like beans, rice, and eggs. I like all of them but after only 3 weeks, I don't think I will want to eat another plate of rice for at least 6 months after I return to the U.S. Breakfast is almost always bread and marmalade, with fresh squeezed juice. My host family knows that I am a vegetarian and teases me about it, but they still serve me meat. If it's not too obvious, I don't eat it. But, sometimes it is too difficult, or I am worried about offending them, so I end up just eating it. There are all kinds of street vendors in Huancayo selling fruit and juice, but the volunteer organization told us not to eat anything from them. I am tempted, if nothing else but for a little variety, but so far I haven't chanced it. I am the only volunteer who hasn't been sick though, so the warnings might be valid. The hygiene of some of the poorer people is relatively non-existent, which is probably the biggest reason that eating from the street vendors can be a bit risky. I'm guessing and hoping that some of the more touristy areas are a little safer in that regard.

I have been working in one of the outreach programs teaching poor children in an area just outside of Huancayo. We use a small room that is used for a restaurant in the afternoons. It is pretty apparent that they don't get much attention elsewhere as they are very clingy. Yesterday I also went to the orphanage and helped there. I was shocked by the number of babies under the age of 6 months - there must have been at least 20, many of which appeared to be very sickly. I also figured out the bus system in Huancayo this week. The buses are more like vans, and I was introduced to them by a non-English speaking teacher. Her introduction didn't include how to know which bus to get on, how to tell them when I want to get off, or how to tell then where I want to go. But fortunately I haven't had any major mishaps despite the lack of any bus maps or schedules.

Huancayo is also home to hundreds, if not thousands of dogs. All of which bark in unison all night long. No one has leashes for the dogs, and they wander the streets. Most of them look a bit straggly. I am shocked that more of them aren't hit by cars. It is far more challenging being a pedestrian here than it was in NYC, and the cars, taxis, and buses don't stop for anything, or anyone.

That's all the news I have from Huancayo for now. I hope everyone in MN is staying warm; It sounds like MN winter is getting an early start.

8 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

It's me again. Which family are you with? We were in Tambo by the big church. Your comment about the dogs brought back memories of many sleepless nights listening to the incessant barking of dogs.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Hello,

It sounds like it might be the same host family......Freddy and Fiore (sp?) on Manuel Fuentes? I don't think I'll ever forget the incessant barking of dogs, honking horns, and vendors at all hours. I continue to be shocked by how loud such a small city can be. I definitely could have done without my alarm clock.

Angie

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a small world!!!!!
If you're still there, tell Freddy and Fiore that Brad and Renata say hola!!!!!

They are wonderful people, the daughter Fiorella is an absolute sweetheart. Jean Franco is a typical idiot teenage boy, but he was nice to us. His first words to us in English were, "Excuse me, what means f**k it?" We were also very fond of Nancy. She works her butt off for that family. Does Wilmer still come around?

I got a kick out of your line about not eating rice for a long time after you leave Peru. I've rarely touched the stuff since we left Huancayo.

Don't know where you're going after Huancayo. We really enjoyed Tarma. Happy travels

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Very small world - they've actually told us about you, so I recognize your names. I will definitely tell them you said hello. They are an absolutely wonderful family. I agree in that Fiorella is a sweetheart, and Jean Franco is your typical idiot teenage boy, but more polite than most teenage boys in the United States. I love the "Excuse me, what means f**k it?" story....doesn't surprise me a bit. Fiorella always comes upstairs and to play cards or pick-up-sticks with us. She was hilarious today at lunch yesterday - it was beans and rice again, and she made a disgusted face, and complained to Nancy. I guess we aren't the only ones who get sick of beans and rice. Both Nancy and Wilmar are still there, and are two of the politest people I have ever met. Do you know what their relationship to the family is, if any? We have heard Nancy call Freddy Tio, but when we asked if he was her uncle, she said no.

I am headed to Cusco from here, but my plans after that are still pretty vague. I'll definitely have to check out Tarma if I have time. How long were you guys here?

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Hey Chris,

I hate to disappoint you, but Peruvian Cockroaches are no different than the varieties I found waiting for me in my basement of my NYC apt. Although, whether Peruvian or American, I don't consider any of them to be little. Given how hard they are to kill, I'm sure that I would have no problem getting them to you alive. I will however be sure to bring back some Masato for you. In fact I'll even spit in it myself; by the time I am back in the U.S. it will be nice and fermented.

To date, this trip is without a doubt providing many opportunities for character building. The next big adventure is Cusco, and the Inca Trail.

Thanks for the update on winter in MN. I actually kind of miss winter a little, although I definitely can't complain about the weather in Huancayo. Stay warm.

Angie

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Jean Franco go to school at all? When we were there they were having a terrible time getting him to go. I think he went a grand total of 2 days the month we were there. We agreed that if he were our son, a stint in military school would be in his future.

I know Nancy is from Huancavalica and has been with the family since she was a teenager. Never really did figure out the whole story. Her brother is a professor at the university there. He came and stayed one weekend. Wilmer is a soldier and I think he just earns some extra money there on the weekends.

If you are still there, ask them to give our regards to Fiore's sister's family in Lima. Her nephew Niki was in Huancayo on his winter break while we were there. He was a really nice guy. In fact, we had a day to kill in Lima after flying back from Cusco and they came out to the airport, took us back to their home for a huge meal, then drove us back to the airport again. Gotta love Peruvian hospitality.

Have a good trip to Cusco. There are loads of things to see and do around there. Machu Picchu is incredible.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops, forgot to add...

We did the 4 week stint in Huancayo then had only about 9 days to travel around. So we went up to Tarma from Huancayo, took the bus to Lima, flew down to Cusco,spent a couple of days there, took the train to Machu Picchu for a couple of days, and then back to Lima.

Seriously, I loved Tarma. It's hemmed into a valley, surrounded by some beautiful terracing. Didn't meet any other tourists the two days we were there. Get ready to see them by the thousands when you get to Cusco. Also, get ready for the tourist prices. That 5 sole trucha you ate at Lago de Paca will cost you 15-20 soles in Cusco.

By the way, how's the weather in Peru this time of year? It was warm and sunny everyday we were there. But since it was the dry season, everything was brown.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Jean Franco does go to school, but not nearly as often as Fiorella does. He's almost always home by one, and I have never once seen him study. He spends most of his time on the Internet, and never listens when Fiore tells him to get off it.

Thanks for the background about Nancy and Wilmer, we have been trying to figure it out the entire time we have been here. Wilmer has been has been there during the week too, and it seems like he might be going to school.

I will give Fiore's sister's family your regards. They are doing the same thing for us. We're taking the bus to Lima tonight and are spending most of the day in Lima before heading to Cucso. Niki is picking us up at the bus station. Peruvian hospitality is really amazing. The family has given me more going away gifts than I have room to carry.

Thanks - I am looking forward to Cusco and the Inca Trail, but am not looking forward to the tourist prices. Huancayo is so inexpensive. Tarma sounds really nice too - hopefully I will have time to check it out. The weather is still pretty nice here, but it seems to rain every few days. I think Dec. and Jan. are pretty wet and cool. Fiore has to have heart surgery, so I think the family is going to spend the next couple of months in Lima.

How long ago where you guys here? You're live in the U.S., right?

Angie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home