Angie Vasquez

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Huancyo to Peru



I grew quite attached to my host family in Huancayo, and saying good-bye was difficult. Their kindness and hospitality has been absolutely incredible. The family gave me more going away gifts than I could carry. A box of chocolate and other goodies, a bag with Huancayo embroidered on it, a ceramic statue from Cusco, a key chain with my name on it from Laguna de Paca, and figurine of a typical Peruvian wedding. One of Fiore's sisters gave us a 1/2 hour lecture in Spanish about being careful, all the thieves in Peru, and all the tricks they use. I thought her concern was just do to the fact that thought we were just "naive tourists", until she told us my host family´s house had been robbed 5 times.

We took a bus from Huancayo to Lima, and then from Lima to Cusco. The total travel time was about 30 hours, with an 8 hour wait in Lima. Fiore´s sister´s family lives in Lima and they picked us up from the bus station at 6am, let us sleep for a few hours, fed us breakfast and lunch, and showed us around Lima. Yet another example of Peruvian hospitality. They also offered to let me stay when I return to Lima on my way out of South America. I got sick during the last couple of hours of the bus ride, and the porcelain gods were my best friend the rest of the day. Something in the breakfast they served us on the bus was bad - nothing like being nauseous on a bus ride through the mountains. It was short-lived though, and I was feeling fine by Sunday. We went to some famous Sunday markets in Pisac - a town about 1 hour out of Cusco - and to some less touristy ruins.

Cusco is drastically different than Huancayo, and despite the fact that it is the low season for travel here, there are tourists everywhere. I am really glad that I was able to spend the month in Huancayo and see a more accurate depiction of Peruvian life. But I am really enjoying Cusco as well and am meeting travelers from all over the world. The food here is fantastic and such a nice change from my diet of bread, beans, rice and eggs. I have heard a few rather disconcerting stories from other travelers. One guy I overheard talking had been kidnapped by a taxi in Arequipa - one of my destinations - and was held for a day at some house in the middle of nowhere. They finally let him go, after withdrawing over $1000 with his cash card. Another couple saw someone rob a tourist in Lima at knife point in the middle of the day when there a bunch of people around. And there was a girl here who was attacked by 5 guys when coming back to her place on night, and it's just a 5 minute walk down the street from where I am staying. In general, I have felt pretty safe, but all the stories do make me think twice about venturing too far off the gringo trail alone. Tomorrow I am headed to the Inca Trail for 4 days, and I am sure I will have much to report when I return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home